After visiting Italy in October 2015 when a barista pulled a shot of espresso at 6 bar, Java Jim started thinking about how a barista can change the profile of the water pressure on the ground coffee in the filter basket. This led to his idea of flow control for an E-61 grouphead. Java Jim then gave this idea to Lelit in December 2015.
This idea of flow control has now taken off with many other manufacturers, so baristas can manipulate the flow of water on the fly to enhance the flavor profiles of espresso extractions.
NOW DUAL PROFILER! Java Jim worked with VBM over the past year to launch their DUAL PROFILER espresso machine for the USA market! The VBM dual boiler espresso machines can be programmed or used manually on the touch screen to regulate the pump pressure profiling, as well as the addition of the flow control device on top of the VBM E-61 grouphead. Check out the VBM link below! On VBM’s heat exchanger espresso machines, 1st-line has installed the E-61 flow control device.
- The Aria already comes with flow control already preinstalled. You can purchase this flow control kit with a dark wood knob.
- The Duo MN and Matrix MN are flow control capable. You can use the same flow control kit found on the Aria.
- The Magica, & Mitica, & Unica are also flow control capable. There is a similar flow control kit that has a black plastic knob.
- The Bianca already comes with flow control already preinstalled. The stainless steel version comes with a dark wood paddle. The black and white versions come with a light wood paddle. You can purchase this flow control kit which has a dark wood paddle.
- The Mara X is flow control capable. You can use the same flow control kit found on the Bianca.