- This diagnostic fee is to cover the following costs we incur to evaluate and service your machine. As you can review, there is a lot of work behind the scenes
–checking in the machine or shipment,
–unpacking the machine that it was shipped in,
–noting any accessories or parts that are included with shipment,
–placing the machine on the bench,
–determining any damage or noting any scratches or dents (as best as possible),
–opening the cover,
–evaluating the parts needed,
–determining the correct parts numbers,
–checking stock on parts,
–determining timeline and ordering any ‘special order’ or ‘out of stock’ parts,
–creating an estimate,
–then after customer approving,
–pulling the parts from the bins,
–making the repair,
–testing, (in some cases, make a video of the machine working),
–packaging the equipment,
–acquiring and processing payment,
–packaging the unit,
–create a shipping label, and
–insuring your machine gets on a UPS truck.
.Please note that we do not ship machines that are dropped off. We also charge shipping fees by dimensional box weight, and in some cases, this can be very expensive. If an estimate is declined, return shipping charges will need to be paid.
- 1st-line Equipment, LLC also places different priority levels on repair services and technical support with highest priority listed first: equipment recently arrived, warranty machines, out of warranty machines, then machines purchased elsewhere.
- We can service many of the espresso machines or grinders we sell. There are some BRAND EXCEPTIONS we do not service, which include those not on the drop down list, as well as Capresso, Jura, Gaggia, Saeco, Expobar, Quick Mill, Izzo, Franke, La Marzocco (unless purchased from 1st-line), Isomac (phased out), Fiorenzato (phased out), Orchestrale (unless purchased from 1st-line), and other brands we do not sell.
- We normally do not repair espresso machines ten or more years old as the cost to repair usually exceeds 50% of the cost of purchasing a new similar machine. We also see a lot of repair creep – where one problem is solved, like a bad power switch, only to learn that once a tech fires up the unit, the heating element or pump does not work.
- The diagnostic fee is non-refundable, including cases where you decide to not ship your machine in for service. The diagnostic fee is only for diagnosis, and if the repair can be made within the first half hour during unpacking the machine and diagnosis, there would be no additional labor charges. Additional time for repair, descaling, parts, shipping, and cleaning are additional to this $69.00 fee. If the repair is authorized by the customer, the diagnosis fee is applied to the repair.
- Sales tax is applied for all repairs shipped or dropped within the State of New Jersey.
Diagnostics Fee (non-refundable)
Due to high volume, we are currently limiting repair services to
a) All Elektra, Lelit, and VBM products, purchased directly from 1st-line, or a dealer purchased from and authorized to sell by 1st-line, or
b) All other equipment purchased directly from 1st-line, or a dealer that purchased from and authorized by 1st-line.
c) If your machine was purchased from 1st-line AND is under warranty,
Under the above 3 circumstances, please contact us.
- Before Shipping: Please order this sku online and your online order ID number becomes your repair authorization number so the package can be accepted at our warehouse.
- Identification: We receive many machines for repair. Place white masking tape on the base of your machine and and pertinent parts you ship with the machine. This will help identify your machine and related parts.
- Winter Months: During the colder months, try to drain your machine's internals components. In the winter months, keep the grouphead, water valve, and steam valve in the open position to allow water to drain before freezing.
- Cover: Place a plastic bag around the machine to avoid scratching.
- What To Include: Please keep all unnecessary items unless it is a problem area - this means to keep all loose parts (drip tray and cover, portafilter handles, plastic guide on top, water tank cover, etc) where applicable. For example, if you are having problems with the grouphead, it is advisable to send the portafilter. Please always include a water reservoir for tank models.
- Packaging: For maximum protection, place your machine carton inside an outer shipper carton using only United Parcel Service (UPS), United States Postal Service (USPS), or FedEx Ground. If the original cartons (inner and outer) are NOT available, please make sure to double box AND INSURE your machine as we can not be responsible for damage or loss. You need to make sure to have at least 4 inches of cushioning between the machine and the outer box.
- Payment: Your credit card will be charged when you process the order online. You will be provided an estimate for repair. At that time, if you decline, there will be this charge. Your charge for repair may be greater than the diagnostic fee charge depending upon what is needed to service your machine.
- Exclosures To Include: Please enclose a copy of the emailed online order and a detailed description of the symptoms or problems.
- Outside Box Identification: Place the online order ID number on outside box as your repair authorization number (or your package can be refused at our warehouse as they will only accept packages with a valid order id number).
- Where To Ship: Ship insured, signature required to
1st-line Equipment, LLC
Repair Auth#: (Your online order # here)
265 Willow Brook Road
Freehold, NJ 07728
- Tracking: Please track your package to us. One of our techs will call you once the machine is on the bench, and an estimate has been established. Calling or emailing about receipt of the package does slow our technicians in repairing machines.
- Estimated Time For Repair: Please note that the estimated time for repair can not be provided as it is difficult to determine the complexity of the repairs of the machines that arrived prior to your machine. In other cases, unforeseen problems, different than what the customer described, arise and cause delays. With this in mind, it can take between 2 and 12 weeks to diagnose your machine and provide an estimate. We kindly request that you wait until you receive a phone call from one of our technicians before calling as 'calling in' will only slow down our technicians who are feverishly working on machines.
- Repair Priority: Machines are repaired on a first come, first served basis with priority in the following order: warranty repair, 1st-line equipment customers, 1st-line non-equipment customers.
- Rush Service: Rush service to move to the front of the line is $125 USD.
- Repair Warranty: (standard industry practice) Repairs have a 30 day warranty on parts and labor LIMITED ONLY for the items repaired. Any return shipping cost or damage and new problems are not covered under this warranty.
- Descaling Disclaimer: Please note that we take every precaution to not allow descaling solution to damage the finish to your machine. However, we are not responsible for accidental spills or leaking by your machine. In addition, there have been cases where a descaling will cause an irreparable leak on an espresso machine, and we are not responsible for this damage as we can not always determine this outcome due tot he fact that we can not visually view how extensive the damage was done by the limescale. In addition, labor charges will still apply up to the point of the descaling. Customer understands that limescale particles may come loose during shipping back to the customer and it may cause a clog.
- Storage: This is mostly for those customers who abandon their equipment. Upon completion of the repair, we will email you the final invoice for which you will need to call our order department to process payment. If you do not process payment within 30 days of completion of the repair, the machine will be considered and agreed to by you as 'abandoned' and will be sold to another client to recuperate the funds for the repair. If the repair is paid 30 days after we emailed you the invoice, there is a $2 per day storage fee.
- Return of Repaired Espresso Machine: We do extensive testing of repairs. Before we ship espresso machines, our techicians try to remove as much water from the boiler as possible. However, not all water can be removed and the little residual water can soak a machine and its packaging. We usually leave the applicable hot water valve, grouphead valve, and/or steam valve open to allow drainage. A boilers bleeder valve found on certain machines is always open on a cool machine. This procedure is to prevent broken pipes from freezing in the winter and potential internal mold build up in the boiler and pipes in the summer. We are not responsible for any rust that may occur from transport and water. IF YOUR MACHINE ARRIVES WET, THE MACHINE NEEDS TO BE ALLOWED TO AIR DRY FOR 48 HOURS MINIMUM TO AVOID PHYSICAL DAMAGES AND/OR BODILY HARM.
- Return of Repaired Coffee Grinders: Although our tecnicians make the best efort to remove coffee grinders fromt he grinder, it is impossible to remove all coffee grinds. Therefore, it is possible that the small amount of coffee grinds spreads through the packaging and creates a filthy looking grinder during transport.
- GFI OUTLETS: We have experienced some customers having their repaired espresso machines trip the GFI outlet (those with a test button). This can happen because the machine is wet (let air dry for 48 hours), the repair created a higher energy demand which now trips the GFI, or the GFI is going defective (it trips the GFI sooner), or there is a loose wire (one would see sparking or fire) from transport.
- Isomac Equipment: We do not currently carry an Isomac espresso machines anymore, but we do have numerous parts if you are looking to do self-repair. Please view them all on this Isomac brand page.
Please ask follow up questions as a new question. Submitted questions will be first reviewed, answered, and lastly publicized.
I have a Marax and it won't turn on. First all three LEDs flash, the next start only the start button flashes. Next run all three LED again
- lelit bianca I'm losing steam pressure and it doesn't recover.
Q lelit bianca I'm losing steam pressure and it doesn't recover. answer nowAsked by June 27, 2023 12:17 pmonAnswered by the admin
Please go to the Bianca page and read the questions and answers there. This is not the correct page.
We bought a Lelit PL62S/120 from you back in 2018. The pump continues to run and never shuts off. I am wondering how I can fix this or send it in to you. Let me know how to proceed. Thank you
Q We bought a Lelit PL62S/120 from you back in 2018. The pump continues to run and never shuts off....... Read more answer nowAsked by January 25, 2022 1:00 pmonAnswered by the admin
We are sorry to hear this. We suggest descaling the machine as the boiler wall or refill probe may be corroded with limescale from hard water or with oxidation from water with too low a TDS. Otherwise, we suggest taking it to a local repair facility to be evaluated.
Do you do repairs for the Bezzera BZ10? The water does not seem to be heating up.
Q Do you do repairs for the Bezzera BZ10? The water does not seem to be heating up. answer nowAsked by December 9, 2021 5:59 pmonAnswered by the admin Yes, if the machine was purchased from us. Unfortunately, technicians are not dime a dozen and are very limited. Hence, we must limit our repair services to clients at this time.Answered by the admin We do, but at this time, only if the machine was purchased from us. Sorry, this time of year we are overloaded with service requests.
My Astoria boiler valve has failed. The images of the boiler valve on your diagrams look slightly different than mine. Can you look at a picture of my valve and recommend a replacement?
- Hi. In your repair diagnostic list absents my coffee machine maker: S1 mini Vivaldi 2 , la Spaziale. Would you repair it? If so, how to pay diagnostics fee?
- Hi, Inned a gauge for an Ascaso basic. Part #1.685. How much does it cost, assuming you have it in stock? Also I couldn't find a part number for the group gasket for this machine but would like one of those as well. thanks
- What is the policy for warranty repair on espresso machines and grinders? I would like to know about who pays for shipping to and back to the customer. This is only for “under warranty” items. What needs to be sent with the machine (i.e. bill of sale)/ thank you
Q What is the policy for warranty repair on espresso machines and grinders? I would like to know ab...... Read more answer nowAsked by April 28, 2020 6:25 pmonAnswered by the admin
This purchase is only for after warranty related repair services. Sorry, there is no broad answer for your question because every manufacturer and even models are different, as well as timeline of the warranty period.
Fiorenzato Bricoletta Lever one group Serial# 0986, Boiler# 18165, Prod Date 02-09-2009. The boiler is overflowing and starts leaking through the relief valve and then the machine shuts down. I have removed, cleaned and reinstalled the probe in the boiler that measures the level of water in the boiler. Wiring seems to be OK too. I also changed the relief valve and replaced the water pump.
What could be a possible cause of this overflow in the boiler? Is it likely that the probe is faulty or a possibility that the electronic 'brain' is failing? What should i replace next short of buying a new machine? :) This is my second machine already, same brand.
Q Fiorenzato Bricoletta Lever one group Serial# 0986, Boiler# 18165, Prod Date 02-09-2009. The boil...... Read more answer nowAsked by April 23, 2020 6:54 pmonAnswered by the admin Considering the age of this machine, there can be a series of issues beyond the scope of our free service here. It needs to be evaluated by a professional.
I'm going to drop the machine off for repair. Can I place order when I arrive or must do on-line? I'm traveling from far. Is there a way to schedule my repair in the event it can be repaired same day to avoid another trip?
Q I'm going to drop the machine off for repair. Can I place order when I arrive or must do on-line?...... Read more answer nowAsked by April 10, 2020 7:35 pmonAnswered by the admin
Sorry, we have limited staff on site due to COVID-19 and our staff is staggered throughout the day to diminish virus exposure. The diagnostic fee needs to be pre-purchased on our web site, then please call to make arrangements for a window to drop it off.
For the safety of our employees, please have the machine in a plastic bag tied on top. When you arrive, the machine needs to be left outside to the left of our front door and our phone number called. We will pick up and bring the machine inside. The bag will be sprayed with disinfectant and the machine needs to sit for 7 days in a holding cell. Then it will be sprayed before being evaluated.
Sorry, we will not be able to perform same day repairs because our techs work in the off hours.
I purchased machine from you years ago. Just recently a mechanical problem has occurred and am hoping you can help. Occasionally, a few seconds after start up it tries to fill water from the reservoir into the boiler. However, instead of the normal pump sound there's quite hum. The sound remains until I shut off the machine. When the problem doesn't occur it works fine all day long. Any ideas on the cause and fix?
Q I purchased machine from you years ago. Just recently a mechanical problem has occurred and am ho...... Read more answer nowAsked by April 9, 2020 11:45 amonAnswered by the admin
Sorry, this is the not the page to ask questions about free support. This page is strictly for the process to send your machine in for repair.
Please ask on the actual machine product page on our web site.
I purchased a la Pavoni in 1995 It is a professional model
I haven't used it in years but would like to start using it again. Do you do an overhaul on a machine this old?
Q I purchased a la Pavoni in 1995 It is a professional model I haven't used it in years but would ...... Read more answer nowAsked by February 11, 2020 7:48 pmonAnswered by the admin
Sorry, we are very selective on repairing machines over 10 years old. Some of our parameters include parts availability and the scope of repairs needed may cost more than 50% of a new machine.We want our customers to not throw good money after bad... in other words, a money pit.
On a 25 year old Pavoni, sorry, we will not evaluate it as it most likely would require a conversion to new parts and this would exceed the 50% of a new one.
I have an ECM Cellini espresso machine (original version - not the Rocket espresso version). It stopped working - the machine has power but the sound of the water pump does not come on. I replaced the micro switch, the solenoid and the vibratory water pump with new spares but its still not working. I think it may be the 'Brain' but when i went to order the spare part it said it needed to be sent to you for repair. I only see ECM Germany on your repair list - how do i send it to you for diagnostics and repair?
I can order a 115V brain from Australia but i am not sure if that is compatible with the 110v power here in the U.S. Please let me know what the best way to have the machine looked at.
Q I have an ECM Cellini espresso machine (original version - not the Rocket espresso version). It s...... Read more answer nowAsked by December 2, 2019 2:12 pmonAnswered by the admin
The ECM Cellini espresso machine can be sent in for repair using the instructions on our diagnostics page for evaluation and an estimate. Please note the shipping costs, amount of labor cost, and the cost of the part can exceed the current value of the espresso machine. Hence, it may be better to purchase a new espresso machine from 1st-line Equipment.
Hi! I purchased an Ascaso Dream PID in August. When screwed on tightly the 2 way coffee spout sits at a 90 degree. So when I add my ground beans in there and tamp it it isn't tight and falls over. What should I do about this? I don't feel like it should have broken this soon. Other than that this machine really is a dream. I love it!
Q Hi! I purchased an Ascaso Dream PID in August. When screwed on tightly the 2 way coffee spout sit...... Read more answer nowAsked by November 20, 2019 3:02 amonAnswered by the admin
Sorry for the delay as there was a glitch on our web site.
Sorry, we are unsure what you mean. If the machine was purchased from 1st-line, please email us some pictures. If purchased elsewhere, please contact your selling dealer.
Hey! I have a ascaso dream pid, and backflush does not work, something is wrong with the solenoid valve. Can you have a look and fix?
- i have a a bezzera dal 1901 and its not heating im getting 120 volts to the heater is the thermostat on the bottom causing it to not heat
Q i have a a bezzera dal 1901 and its not heating im getting 120 volts to the heater is the thermos...... Read more answer nowAsked by October 17, 2019 8:00 pmonAnswered by the admin
Sorry, there are numerous parts and reasons for an espresso machine not to heat. The espresso machine should be evaluated by a professional.
I recently required a used 2008 Elektra MCAL. Everything works as it should. It just has developed a good amount of oils/scale and needs new gaskets. Would it be possible to send in my machine for a rebuild/cleaning? I already have all the gaskets required.
- Are you still providing repair service For VBM machines? I purchased one from you 8 years ago (Domobar Jr), it's been out of service now for one year and have never been able to send it in for repair. If I order a diagnostic do I just ship out to you? Can I drop it off? How much time does it usually take for you to turn around a repair, assuming you have all the parts?
Q Are you still providing repair service For VBM machines? I purchased one from you 8 years ago (Do...... Read more answer nowAsked by September 14, 2019 6:16 pmonAnswered by the admin
Yes, please follow the instructions for the diagnostics. Sorry, we do not offer timelines as we do not know the difficulty levels of the equipment that arrives before your machine.
My Pl41tem no longer goes to the usual pressure (9 - 11) bars, and it quickly produces espresso that is thin and watery. It shows 3- 7 bars. Nothing has changed in regards to grind, and tamping. (I have tried different baskets and finer grinds and lighter and heavier tamping however, without results.) What is wrong with this machine? I think it is 5 years old.
Q My Pl41tem no longer goes to the usual pressure (9 - 11) bars, and it quickly produces espresso t...... Read more answer nowAsked by July 7, 2019 3:45 pmonAnswered by the admin
When pumps fail, they stop completely. Please read our article about gauges so a better understanding can be achieved.
I have a Pavoni Europiccola made in 1981. It works fine but I would like to have it serviced. Can you do it and how much would it cost? Thank you.
Q Hi, I have a Pavoni Europiccola made in 1981. It works fine but I would like to have it serviced...... Read more answer nowAsked by May 14, 2019 3:21 pmonAnswered by the admin
Sorry, we prefer not to touch a machine this old. Unfortunately, some parts can be difficult to attain for your antique machine, and the amount of time searching for the needed parts can exceed the value of the machine. Servicing, like a descaling, can ruin certain gaskets or o-rings that are no longer available.
My machine needs repair (Pasquini Livia G4). I've communicated with Pasquini and they say:
Steam gurgle in the reservoir is a common sign that your vacuum valve is worn out and needs to be replaced. This is standard wear and tear after a couple of years and is nothing to be alarmed about. I would recommend you to send the machine in for a service and repair. The part is number 7433018
Can you give me an estimate on doing this?
Q My machine needs repair (Pasquini Livia G4). I've communicated with Pasquini and they say: Ste...... Read more answer nowAsked by February 5, 2019 7:27 pmonAnswered by the admin
Sorry, we can only provide an estimate once the machine arrives in for repair and has been evaluated. Many times there are other underlying issues that causing the issue on the surface.