ECM Classika PID Espresso Machine
The atmosphere of an Italian espresso bar at home – made for the smallest of kitchens. The ECM Classika PID is perfect for small spaces considering it is a single-boiler machine. It satisfies the highest demands, perfect espresso preparation, and absolute espresso pleasure. Further review this timeless, elegant classic in a clear, stainless steel design.
Single boiler system:
- Stainless steel boiler – The boiler is made of stainless steel which is less susceptible to limescale. Typically stainless steel boilers do not retain their heat as well as copper or brass boilers. This machine compensates that by being wrapped with insulation.
- Short heat-up time – Approximately 20 minutes which is faster when comparing to a heat exchange system.
- Constantly heated – Hot water circulates from the heat exchanger through the grouphead and back to keep the grouphead and your portafilter nice and hot. This keeps the grouphead at a constant, stable temperature compared to other groupheads that have a built-in heating element.
- Pre-infusion – The lever next to the grouphead activates a microswitch which turns on the pump to pump water through the coffee grinds. When you pull the lever half way up, it will open the valve to allow water into the grouphead without activating the pump.
PID controls / pressure gauge:
- PID temperature programming – Allows you to program the boiler temperature for different coffee blends.
- Pressure gauge – Measures pump/brew pressure (0 – 16 bar) and should only be looked at while extracting espresso or adjusting the OPV with a blind filter in the portafilter inserted into the grouphead. This gauge has no meaning at any other time.
- Efficient – 41 watts, rated up to 15 bar with air valve bypass. You only need 9 bar to extract perfect espresso, and wattage has no correlation to longevity.
- Cost effective – Pumps will degrade in performance over time. Replacing a vibration pump will cost less than a rotary vane pump.
Steam / hot water wand:
- Rotational knob – Allows for easier control of the intensity.
- Multi-directional – Allows for more movement and flexibility
- 2-hole steam tip – Allows for a slow gradual build-up of microfoam.
- The grip on the wand protects your fingers from heat while the full-size steam wand allows greater steam power over a no-burn wand.
- Stainless steel body: Polished to a mirror finish. Black enamel-painted steel frame.
- Passive cup warmer on the top: Heat from the boiler rises and heats the top panel. Just like other espresso machines, it can take up to two hours to preheat your cups. Therefore, it is better to flash heat the cups from hot water from the grouphead or steam/water wand.
- Three-way solenoid valve: Allows quick removal of portafilter after the espresso extraction and immediately prepare for the next extraction.
- OPV (over pressure valve): Easily adjustable. Located underneath the cup warmer tray (8.5 – 12 bar).
- Rocker switches and indicator lights: For the “On/Off” function and for steam and hot water.
Accessories included with the ECM Classika PID:
- Portafilters – Dual spout portafilter. The filter head is solid brass and 58mm diameter.
- Filter baskets – 1-cup filter basket which holds approximately 7 grams. 2-cup filter basket which holds approximately 14 grams. Blind filter basket which you can use for backflushing. All baskets are 58 mm in diameter.
- Tamper – A cheap plastic tamper, common for most espresso machines to keep overall selling price of machine low. We recommend upgrading to a better tamper.
- Cleaning brush – Used for cleaning the grouphead. Ergonomically designed with an angle for easier usage. The neck has special ridges to keep hot water from dripping to your hand.
- Scoop – A simple plastic scoop if you are going to use ground coffee.
- Water tank hose – Water feeds through a hole at the bottom of the water tank. You can connect this hose and fit a particle filter or a water softener on the other end.
- Instruction manual – Written in both German and English.
For more ECM Germany products, please visit our ECM Germany brands page. If you have any questions, please reference the Q&A tab on each product page.