Bezzera Matrix DE Dual Boiler Espresso Machine
The Bezzera Matrix DE Dual Boiler espresso machine illuminated (quite literally) at HOST Milan 2017. Every attendee, including us, were drawn to this glowing beginner dual boiler espresso machine. After talking directly with Bezzera, we realized there is a lot more than meets the eye with this machine. The Matrix is designed with user functionality as a key focus. In addition, durability is inherent in Bezzera espresso machines, as well as its attractive design. S0 if you need an espresso machine to entertain with three different PID's, look no further! In addition, it has a rock solid stainless steel frame. Stainless steel front and rear panels. Very informative touch screen display backed with waterproof insulation internally. Altogether, the V2 upgrade includes an improved LCD display panel with enhanced glue sealant on the rear of glass and superior sealing protection behind the LCD board.
So are you looking for an espresso grinder that pairs well with the Bezzera Matrix DE? Take a look at our selection of Eureka Espresso Grinders
The Bezzera Matrix DE Dual Boiler sports a beautiful 3.5″ LED touch display. This allows you to program a number of functions with ease. Adjusting the temperature between the two boilers is crystal clear, as well as checking the water levels. Also, you can adjust the color of the signature LED body panels also can be adjusted in the settings of the touch display. Furthermore, other programs on the touchpad include:
- pre-infusion, priority heat up between boilers
- auto on/off settings – once per each day of the week (maintenance reminder and filter reminder need to be turned on)
- switch between direct plumb and reservoir
- automatic backflush program
- maintenance reminders
- selection of different languages
Illuminated LED Body Panels
Made from durable plexiglass, these LED near the bottom of the body panels provide eye-catching illumination for the home. Further, you can customize the colors on the touch display to fit any mood. The glow beautifully reflects off the polished mirror finish stainless steel body. Additionally, there are separate PID thermostats, one for the coffee boiler and one for the water/steam boiler. All controlled by a 3.5″ touch display.
A keypad above the grouphead displays four designated buttons for volumetric coffee dosing – meaning you can program how much water is pumped through the grinds by volume. The 5th button on the right with Bezzera’s insignia is for manual dosing (on/off) of the water.
Independently Controlled Boilers
Two separate PID’s sensors monitor the .45 L coffee boiler and 1L water/steam boiler. You can control the boiler temperatures through the Touch Display. Moreover, through the touch display, you can program which boiler you would prefer to heat up first or have priority! Both internal boilers have insulation on their sides.
In addition, each boiler can be turned on or off independently.
PID Temperature-Controlled Grouphead
The Bezzera grouphead on the electronic DE version of the Matrix has its own PID sensor and heating element – providing superior temperature control. Additionally, the temperature is preset by Bezzera and can not be modified.
Multi-Directional Steam and Hot Water Wand
Allows for more flexibility. Joystick controls give instant on / off operation as opposed to knobs that you must turn clockwise / counter-clockwise. Each wand has a rubber cover to prevent your fingers from burning. However, cool touch wands were NOT selected as this steam wand offers a greater throughput of steam power!
Wooden Handles on Valves and on Portafilters
The Bezzera Matrix DE Dual Boiler comes with wooden handles for the single and dual-spouted portafilters and joystick levers. After all, less plastic is always a bonus in our eyes.
Three Way Solenoid Valve
Allows quick removal of portafilter after espresso extraction by relieving the pressure built up in the grouphead. The result is a dry puck of coffee you can easily knock out of the portafilter.
Rotary Vane Pump and Motor
Produces a quieter extraction vs a vibratory vane pump. Below the tank/reservoir, you can make adjustments underneath the espresso machine.
Very Large Water Tank
A 4-liter water reservoir means fewer refills for higher volume use. Electronic sensors detect low water levels and indicate it on the touch display. Refilling occurs from the top of the machine by lifting up the lid on hinges. However, we strongly recommend removing the reservoir for refilling any espresso machine to avoid getting any water on top of the espresso machine.
On the left side of the reservoir, there is a low water sensor. This sensor can be calibrated through the Touch Display screen.
Passive Cup Warmer
Able to hold up to six small cappuccino cups and passively warm them to ensure coffee remains hot.
Automatic Water Refill to Boiler
An automatic water refill of steam boiler plus safety cutoff minimizes damage to steam boiler from lack of water.
Parts & Accessories included
- One single and one double spout portafilters with walnut wood handles
- 1-cup & 2-cup stainless steel filter baskets
- Blind filter basket for backflushing/backwashing the oils form the grouphead
- Plastic tamper. We suggest getting a higher grade tamper
- Plastic scoop
- Grouphead cleaning brush for cleaning the grouphead gasket
- Reservoir plug for reservoir for when plumbing in the machine to a water line
- Catch basin installed below drip tray for draining to your plumbing system
- Vinyl drain hose (~1 meter) included to connect to drain basin
- 1.5-meter stainless steel braided hose with one o-ring for connection on machine side. Waterline side is 3/8th BSPP threads (please use contact us link above if you need more info)
- Instruction manual.
Espresso Machine Warning:
- ELECTRICAL WARNING: To avoid electrical damage to this espresso machine which is not considered a manufacturer's defect, please acquire and install a single-outlet surge suppressor rated at 1080 joules or higher. the lack of the recommended surge suppressor, the espresso machine can be damaged at the power switch, the electronics, the heating element, the pressurstat or the wiring inside.
- WATER WARNING: To increase the useful life of and not damage your espresso machine, please use softened water. Softened water is water without calcium and without magnesium, but still has other minerals for espresso extraction. Do not use distilled water, purified water, nor reverse osmosis water as these types of water create oxidation with the metals and cause the same damaging effects as limescale.
- DESCALING WARNING: We do not recommend descaling unless there is an issue with the espresso machine. The reason is that too much descaling can eat away at the metals and gaskets inside an espresso machine.
- Since this is a new model, every Bezzera Matrix/Duo model gets inspected, bench tested, and calibrated with 'water only' prior to shipping. Upon arrival, please use the machine within 5 business days.
- Do not move or lift the machine from top rails as damage may occur to the rails or body of the machine.
- The Bezzera Matrix DE comes from Bezzera on a mini pallet, which is why we will ship this machine out to you, the customer, on a pallet. Additionally, it is less likely that your machine will arrive damaged with this shipping method.
Note from Bezzera dated 03/25/2021
20 AMP plug will continue to be used on Matrix and Duo 110 Volt version because the safety standards do not allow to use an undersized plug compared with the power consumption reported in the machine data label.
We will add an advice into the machine box where we explain to the final user that it is possible to use the machine with a 15 Amp plug adapter only setting a boiler priority.
We would like to inform you that, according to our tests, the major difference in the machine performance, setting or not the boiler priority, is in the warm-up period
We faced not big performance differences in the coffee thermostability and water/steam services, in the normal machine use, giving a priority to a coffee or steam boiler
WARM-UP TIME (no priority)
Coffee service: 3:20 min
Hot water / steam service: 6:45 min
WARM-UP TIME (coffee boiler/service boiler priority)
Coffee service: 7:10 min
Hot water / steam service: 10:10 min
Power supply: 110V
Frequency: 60 Hz
Room temperature: 22°C
Coffee boiler set point: 92°C
Service boiler set point: 125°C
We would like also assure you that there is not safety problem with the Matrix and Duo machines sold until now.
15 AMP plug and cable are designed to be used with 15 AMP in a continuous way and they admit pick of current until around 20 AMP. During our tests we have recorded 17,76 AMP (as maximum current) only in the 3:20 minutes of the warm-up time (when both boiler heat up together).
During the coffee brewing the service boiler heating element is disabled and when the machine is not used, thanks to the PID controls, only impulses of current are given to the heating elements.
Coffee – 800, Steam – 1200
110 – 120
|Boiler capacity (liters)||
Coffee – 0.45, Steam – 1
|Tank capacity (liters)||
|Portafilter size (mm)||
|Country of manufacture||
For more Bezzera products, please visit our Bezzera brands page. If you have any questions, please reference the Q&A tab on each product page.
1 review for Bezzera Matrix DE V2 Dual Boiler Espresso Machine