ECM Mechanika Profi IV Switchable Espresso Machine
The Mechanika Profi IV is yet another example of ECM Germany’s reputation for creating commercial espresso machines of excellent build quality and prosumer performance. This is the “Profi” or professional, version of the Mechanika. What do you get with this title? A heftier stainless steel E61 grouphead for temperature stability, a rotary vane pump for quieter operation, and the ability to direct plumb the machine if desired. With the Mechanika Profi, ECM allows the home barista to feel like their kitchen is a professional coffee shop!
Heat exchange system:
- Stainless steel, insulated – The boiler is made of stainless steel which is less susceptible to limescale. Typically stainless steel boilers do not retain their heat as well as copper or brass boilers. This machine compensates that by being wrapped with insulation.
- Pull a shot & steam milk at the same time – Steam is always readily available. Therefore there is no wait time going from coffee to steam mode. Works well if entertaining a small group of people.
Separate pressure gauges:
- Steam pressure gauge – Located on the left. Measures from 0 to 3 bar. Optimal pressure is between 0.8 and 1.1.
- Brew pressure gauge – Located on the right. Measures from 0 to 16 bar. Optimal pressure is between 8 and 10.
- Constantly heated – Hot water circulates from the heat exchanger through the grouphead and back to keep the grouphead and your portafilter nice and hot. This keeps the grouphead at a constant, stable temperature compared to other groupheads that have a built-in heating element.
- Pre-infusion – The lever next to the grouphead activates a microswitch which turns on the pump to pump water through the coffee grinds. When you pull the lever half way up, it will open the valve to allow water into the grouphead without activating the pump. Please note that true pre-infusion requires the direct water connection whereby the water pressure from the water line creates true pre-infusion.
Rotary vane pump:
- Quiet operation – Rotary pumps are necessary for direct connect capable machines since vibration pumps cannot handle the incoming water pressure. The main benefit that you will experience is that they are a lot quieter.
- Adjustable – No need to remove the body panel to access. The adjustment screw is accessible underneath the machine.
Switchable from a water tank to direct water connection:
- Easy transition – After hooking up the water line (included) to your machine, all you need to do is activate the switch located behind the drip tray on the left side. Turn to the “1” position.
Steam & hot water wands:
- Joystick handles – Easily pull in any direction for quick activation. Both joysticks will lock in any position for hands-free operation.
- Multi-directional – Allows for more movement and flexibility.
- “No burn” – Both wands are insulated to allow you to touch anywhere on the arm. However, the tip and connection are still hot. Please also note that after very long periods of steaming or pouring hot water, the arm will be too hot to touch. We recommend to only touch the rubber grips on each wand.
- 2-hole steam tip – Allows for a slow gradual build-up of microfoam.
Accessories included with the ECM Mechanika Profi:
- Portafilters – Single spout portafilter and a dual spout portafilter. Both handles match the style of the grouphead lever and are ergonomically designed with an angle for easy operation to lock into the grouphead.
- Filter baskets – 1-cup filter basket which holds approximately 7 grams. 2-cup filter basket which holds approximately 14 grams. Blind filter basket which you can use for backflushing. All baskets are 58 mm in diameter.
- Tamper – A cheap plastic tamper, common for most espresso machines to keep overall selling price of machine low. We recommend upgrading to a better tamper.
- Cleaning brush – Used for cleaning the grouphead. Ergonomically designed with an angle for easier usage. The neck has special ridges to keep hot water from dripping to your hand.
- Hose – Stainless steel braided. For connecting to a water line.
- Instruction manual – Written in both German and English. The instructions also work for the Technika.
For more ECM Germany products, please visit our ECM Germany brands page. If you have any questions, please reference the Q&A tab on each product page.