VBM Domobar Super Dual Boiler PID Espresso Machine
Since 2008, VBM has worked well with importers, distributors, and industry professionals to upgrade their Double Domobar dual boiler espresso machine. One of the main requirements was to design and build a dual boiler espresso machine that would not have any compromises at 15 amps electrical service when compared to 20 amps.
Steam Boiler Pre-Heat: Here is the kicker on other dual boiler machines, especially those with a preheat of water through the steam boiler before it enters the coffee boiler. This design is to reduce the temperature fluctuations in the coffee boiler. However, one issue occurs! The incoming water to the boiler can be at a lower temperature when the steam boiler is off. Thus, with the same programmed PID settings, the boiler may not react fast enough to maintain temperature.
Since 2016, VBM’s solution was to have a temperature management system whereby the coffee boiler has 2 heating elements – 600 watt plus 300 watt. When the steam boiler is powered, the system only uses the 600 watt or 300 watt element in the coffee boiler to maintain temperature. However, when the steam boiler is off and there is no preheat of the water entering the coffee boiler, the VBM dual boiler uses both coffee boiler heating elements to manage the temperature being changed by the incoming colder water.
Upgraded Safety Valve on Steam Boiler: Since 2016, all VBM dual boilers have an upgraded safety valve on the steam boiler that opens up at 2 bar to prevent any excessive steam pressure out. This was to allow the programmed PID to elevate the steam boiler to a higher pressure to produce greater steam! In addition, the steam boiler was upgraded to withstand the higher steam pressure. Without the upgrade, the boiler walls would bow out, weakening the silver solder, and then creating leaks. The PID on the steam boiler can be programmed to 1.5 bar pressure. Coupled with a large 1.9 copper boiler and a standard commercial steam pipe, the throughout and capacity are there for superior performance. The steam pipe is not a no-burn wand because no-burn wands have half the diameter of the throughput of a standard pipe.
In fact, look at our PID overview sheet. With the steam boiler set at 1.5, you can also program the F.05 setting (steam boiler offset) to have the steam pressure go past 2 bar! However, the steam boiler safety valve will start releasing steam at 2.0-2.2 bar. So, be careful when adjusting the steam boiler offset. This feature was inside machines made from 2016 and on!
Please note this machine ships on a pallet with curbside delivery only. It is just to heavy for UPS or FedEx to handle properly with the care you deserve on a high end purchase.
TOP FEATURES that brings the VBM Domobar Super Double Boiler espresso machine to the TOP!
- Two boilers: the user can operate the coffee boiler alone or the coffee and steam boiler together.
- PID (Proportional, Integral, Derivative): This allows you to manage temperature control of the coffee boiler and steam boiler. Learn more about a PID in this overview.
- Small water reservoir (2.1 liters): Allows approximately 20 double shots for extraction without a refill. Refill can occur on the fly while the machine is operating. For those who believe the small boiler makes better coffee because of fresh water displacement, we have a smaller reservoir for the same reason.
- PLUMB-ABLE Inbound water!!! – The machine can be used in reservoir mode or direct plumbed mode. The machine comes with an inlet stainless steel inlet cold water hose to plumb your machine into your water line. Contact us for water treatment options as well as requirements to connect!
- Over pressure valve (OPV): Feeds excess water pressure to the drip tray and not the water reservoir. This will allow operation of the direct water connection without having the reservoir fill with overflow water which can get moldy and require constant emptying and cleaning.
- Plumbable Drip tray: Slides out easily to drain out or can be connected to a drain with changing of included adapter and attachment of included drain hose!
- Insulation on coffee boiler / steam boiler: Helps save energy. The insulation on the coffee boiler also aids in temperature stability for the espresso extraction.
- Only up to 15 amps required: Without the need for any additional switches or internal adjustments.
- Commercial-grade rotary vane pump: With the ability to make a direct water connection or use a water reservoir on the same machine with the movement of a lever under the machine. Includes stainless steel braided hose with 3/8″ male thread.
- User programmed offset: The temperature regulation is at the coffee boiler, and the grouphead always has a lower temp. This feature allows the user to program this delta in temperature as every environment has a different offset.
Quality Characteristics and Specifications found VBM Style
- Heavy duty true VBM E61 grouphead: Maintains active flow of water from the grouphead to the heat exchanger in the boiler.
- Professional grade brass portafilters: 1 single spout portafilter with a 1-cup filter basket and 1 double spout portafilter with a 2-cup filter basket.
- Coffee boiler capacity / material: 0.5 liter copper boiler. This very small coffee boiler allows quicker displacement of any stale water as possibly found on larger coffee boilers for machines in this class. Boiler temperature controlled by PID.
- Steam boiler capacity / material: 1.9 liter copper boiler and temperature controlled by PID.
- Boiler pressure gauge: Indicates steam boiler pressure.
- Pump pressure gauge: Indicates brew pressure during espresso extraction (reading will vary while not extracting).
- Multi-directional stainless steel steam wand: Located on the left side and can be moved in different directions.
- Multi-directional stainless steel hot water wand: Located on the right side and can be moved in different directions.
- Power light: Located on the right side and indicates when the machine is powered on.
- Heating light: Located on left side and indicates when espresso machine is heating.
- Water light: Located in the middle and indicates when water level in water reservoir in rear is low.
- Three stage power switch: Three stage power switch allows user to operate espresso machine with coffee boiler only or both boilers simultaneously
- Extremely large stainless steel drip tray: Can be easily (slides out with pull of handle) removed for cleaning. Grate stays on machine when pulling out drip tray so that it is one step removal to empty.
- GICAR branded electronic water level control: Reacts to a .02 C of temperature change in the coffee boiler.
- Rotary vane pump and commercial-grade motor: Quieter than a vibration pump, but it is more expensive to replace. Hence, descaling is important.
- OPV (over pressure valve): Opens when too much pump pressure exists. Located in rear of machine with easy access when the body panel, the 6 associated screws, and divider are removed. Although the pump has an adjustment screw for regulation, the OPV is an additional feature to manage overflow that may be caused by overpressure from the water company when the machine is plumbed in.
- Accessories included: Single spout portafilter
- Made in Milan, Italy