Overview of Rancilio R044 Dispersion Screen:
Over time, the Rancilio dispersion screen, also known as shower screen, or mesh distorts from the high water pressure and coffee grinds that lodge between the mesh. Although backflushing with the proper detergent cleans the screen, the backflushing does not repair the wire mesh moving out of place. Based on this, we no longer recommend cleaning the screen with a wire brush. A wire brush cleaning will distort the shower mesh on the dispersion screen at a faster rate.
Our Rancilio dispersion screen has a supporting metal layer with holes as the high water pressure does exert force on the screen. The ring is spot welded many times to hold the assembly together. Spot welds may appear on the outside or inside of the screen. A good screen is designed to ‘disperse or shower’ the water on the coffee grinds evenly while under pressure.
This dispersion screen is a suitable replacement for the following part numbers:
Grimac CA034, P219, and R044
Pavoni 327104, 327105, and 327106
When removing the Rancilio Dispersion screen, it is a good idea to replace the portafilter gasket. If the Rancilio dispersion screen does not easily remove, use a flat head screwdriver to pry the screen out through the center hole or from the outer edge. Be careful to not damage the dispersion brass plate underneath. Do not over-tighten the center screw when installing as you could strip the threading of the grouphead. The damage could become a very costly repair if the entire grouphead needs to be replaced. The other reason for not over-tightening is to avoid deforming the screen as well as the air space behind the screen.
- Rancilio Shower / Dispersion Screen – 58mm outside diameter
- Recommended Maintenance: replacement every 12 Months (light usage) or every 6 months with heavy usage in-home/office environment, and every 3 months in a commercial cafe, food service, or restaurant environment.
- Installed with the screen side down (center screw in middle not included)
- Fits most Rancilio commercial models & most Rancilio home models (Silvia, Rialto, Lucy, & Audrey) with a center hole for the screw. Please check your machine’s diagram to confirm.
- Does not fit the Rancilio Betsy espresso machine that was manufactured in the 1990s.