ECM Synchronika Dual Boiler PID Switchable Espresso Machine
Dual boiler system:
- Stainless steel, insulated – Both boilers are made of stainless steel which is less susceptible to limescale. Typically stainless steel boilers do not retain their heat as well as copper or brass boilers. This machine compensates that with insulation wrapping.
- Safety thermostats – There are 2 safety thermostats located on the top of each boiler for the extra added security. Both boilers are easily accessible from the side if you need to reset the thermostats. There is 1 screw on the top of each side that holds the side panels in place.
- Steam boiler – Large capacity for entertaining purposes. You can also shut off the steam boiler if you choose to only make espresso or pour hot water. The switch is located behind the drip tray on the right side. This will help save power and the wear & tear on the boiler.
- Displays the temperature of both boilers – The temperature is indicated by the position of the blinking dot on the display. If the dot is on the left, the temperature displayed is the coffee boiler. If the dot is on the right, the temperature displayed is the steam boiler.
- Individual temperature adjustment of both boilers – Press both the “-” and “+” buttons at the same time to access the menu. The “t1” option is the coffee boiler temperature. Press the “+” button and then immediately use the “-” and “+” buttons to change the temperature. Once you set your desired temperature it will automatically be saved after 1 second. Press “-” to get to the “t2” option which is the steam boiler temperature. Follow the same previous steps to adjust.
- Grouphead cleaning cycle – After the “t2” option in the menu is “Cln”. The PID control keeps track of how many shots you have pulled. Once the set amount has been reached, the display will show “Cln”, indicating the grouphead needs to be backflushed. The manual recommends to backflush between 90 – 140 cycles. We recommend to backflush after every 50 cycles.
- Built-in shot timer – When you pull the grouphead lever up, the shot timer starts on the PID display.
- Display off option – You can turn the PID display off by holding the “+” button. To turn the display back on, press the “+” button again.
Separate pressure gauges:
- Steam pressure gauge – Located on the left. Measures from 0 to 3 bar. Optimal pressure is between 0.8 and 1.1.
- Brew pressure gauge – Located on the right. Measures from 0 to 16 bar. Optimal pressure is between 8 and 10.
- Constantly heated – Hot water circulates from the heat exchanger through the grouphead and back to keep the grouphead and your portafilter nice and hot. This keeps the grouphead at a constant, stable temperature compared to other groupheads that have a built-in heating element.
- Pre-infusion – Lever next to the grouphead activates a microswitch which turns on the pump to pump water through the coffee grinds. Pulling the lever halfway up will open the valve to allow water into the grouphead without activating the pump. Please note that true pre-infusion requires the direct water connection whereby the water pressure from the waterline creates true pre-infusion.
Rotary vane pump:
- Quiet operation – Rotary pumps are necessary for direct connect capable machines since vibration pumps cannot handle the incoming water pressure. The main benefit that you will experience is that they are a lot quieter.
- Adjustable – No need to remove the body panel to access. The adjustment screw is located underneath the machine.
Switchable from a water tank to a direct water line connection:
- Easy transition – After hooking up the water line (included) to your machine, all you need to do is activate the switch located behind the drip tray on the left side. Turn to the “1” position.
- Drainable drip tray – There is a hole pre-drilled into the drip tray. The plastic catch basin (included) is installed onto the machine frame underneath the drip tray. The drain line (not included) hooks up to the catch basin.
Steam & hot water wands:
- Multi-directional – Allows for more movement and flexibility. The wands are also connected to the valves on a 70° angle for even more flexibility.
- “No burn” – Both wands are insulated to allow you to touch anywhere on the arm. Please note that after very long periods of steaming or pouring hot water, the arm will be too hot to touch. We recommend to only touch the rubber grips on each wand.
- 2-hole steam tip – Allows for a slow gradual build-up of microfoam.
- Portafilters – Single spout portafilter and a dual spout portafilter. Both handles match the style of the grouphead lever and are ergonomically designed with an angle for an easier operation to lock into the grouphead.
- Filter baskets – 1-cup filter basket which holds approximately 7 grams. 2-cup filter basket which holds approximately 14 grams. Blind filter basket which is used for backflushing. 58 mm in diameter.
- Tamper – Not a cheap plastic tamper, but a very nice solid 58 mm tamper. Style is similar to the portafilter handles and grouphead lever.
- Cleaning brush – Used for cleaning the grouphead. Ergonomically designed with an angle for easier usage. The neck is equipped with special ridges to keep hot water from dripping to your hand.
- Instruction manual – Language written in both German and English.
For more ECM Germany products, please visit our ECM Germany brands page. If you have any questions, please reference the Q&A tab on each product page.