Entering the PID menu
- With the machine off, keep both UP and DOWN buttons depressed and hold on the PID controller, switch on the machine and wait until the display shows F03, then release the UP and DOWN buttons of the PID CONTROLLER.
- Press the DOWN button to scroll the parameters.
- Press the UP button to access in the programming menu.
- Use the DOWN and UP buttons to change the settings parameters. Once you finish modifying the settings, after 3 seconds, the values you set will save to memory, and will automatically exit the programming menu.
Display codes / Parameters
- F.03 (temperature unit measure): °C temperature unit measure Celsius degrees / °F temperature unit measure Fahrenheit degrees. Lelit sets the value to C as the default.
Version 1.04 on Power Up of Espresso Machine
Once in the PID menu, the PID screen will display F.03. Depress the right arrow button/key to enter the C-F menu. Use the left arrow button/key to change the temperature measure between C or F.
CHANGE IN Version 1.05 on Power Up of Espresso Machine
The F.03 will not show in the PID menu as in the Version 1.04 software. After the machine is primed and BUT BEFORE powering on, please depress and hold the left PID to enter the menu for changing the temperature scale.
- P (up value): When this value increases, the heating element heats more frequently in the ascent phase, therefore it generates more inertia which means more degrees than the value set by the user. On the contrary, if you decrease this value, the heating element heats less frequently in the ascent phase, therefore it generates less inertia which means less degrees than the value set by the user.
Set value by Lelit – 1
- I (maintenance value): It increases the cycles of activation of the heating element when it’s in stand-by mode.
Set value by Lelit – 0.00
- D (down value): By increasing this value, the PID Controller activates the heating element more frequently when the boiler is in the descent phase. If you increase the value, the heating element impulses more, therefore it decreases a little bit less.
Set value by Lelit – 4
- B: (- value): Compared to the set value within which the PID CONTROLLER works (expressed in °C/°F)
Allowed values – 2 – 20 °C (35 – 68 °F)
Set value by Lelit – around 8 °C
- F04 (correction value): Indicates the correction factor in negative of the temperature.
Allowed values – 0 – 30 °C (32 – 86 °F)
Set value by Lelit – 8
- F.05 (max temp value): Indicates the temperature value,which if reached, will flash on the display, to advise that the coffee temperature is too high.
Allowed values – 100 – 140 °C (212 – 284 °F)
Set value by Lelit – 108 °C
PID Controller Reset
If you wish to reset the PID Controller, with the machine OFF, keep pressed the UP ARROW button on the PID, turn the machine ON and wait until the display shows PrS then turn the machine OFF again.
- A1: In case the temperature probe is faulty or somehow disconnects, the display shows the A1 message, the PID Controller functions will disable.
- A2: In case the temperature probe is in short circuit (or if the detected temperature is above 200°C), the display shows the A2 message, the PID Controller functions will disable.
- A4: Adjusting and programming are off
Functions of the PID Values:
The default regulation of the temperature performs according to an algorithm known as PID.
The constants that determine the thermoregulation are as follows:
- Proportional constant Kp
- Integrative constant Ki
- Derivative constant Kd
- The proportional range is the range, within which the temperature is set by the PID, outside it the heating element is regulated by ON/OFF
You have to adapt the 3 constants and the proportional range to the espresso machine, depending from the heating element power, the boiler dimensions, the fluidic and its dispersion. This regulation usually requires a bit of time in order to get the best possible result.
We call “set point value” or T°SET the boiler temperature it has to have during normal functioning. If…
- during the heating or maintenance phase, the temperature excessively swings around the T°SET, with values that do not weaken in time, the proportional constant Kp needs to be diminished.
- in the maintenance phase, the temperature excessively swings around the T°SET, with a very long swing period and with values that do not weaken in time, the integrative constant Ki needs to be diminished.
- during the heating or maintenance phase, the temperature has an excessive swing and it’s often more than the T°SET but then weakens in time, the derivative constant Kd needs to be diminished.
- in the heating phase, the temperature tends to be below the T°SET and gets more and more far away from it, the derivative constant Kd needs to be increased.
- during the heating phase, the temperature tends to be below the T°SET, in a constant way, the proportional constant Kp needs to be increased and also the integrative constant Ki needs to be slightly increased.
- in maintenance phase, the temperature tends to be below or above the T°SET value in a constant way, the integrative constant Ki needs to be increased and also the proportional constant Kp needs to be slightly increase
Please note the above information is subject to copyright. It cannot be published in any means without the expressed written consent of 1st-line Equipment, LLC.