Ascaso Steel Uno Professional PID Espresso Machine
This item has been discontinued at 1st-line Equipment on 8-7-12. Please click here for more products.
Ascaso Steel Uno Professional PID Espresso
Although 'professional' is in its name, the Ascaso Steel Uno is an extraordinary home-model espresso machine. The main upgrade from the standard Ascaso Steel Uno Professional is the PID - the newest innovation from Ascaso that allows the user to change the temperature of the coffee boiler to allow the water temp most closely perform a superior and more consistent espresso extraction. For example, one coffee blend can be extracted at 195 d F while tasting very bitter at 201. Another coffee may be extracted best at 200 d F, but taste very sour at 196 d F. The PID allows the operator to program the temperature of the coffee boiler.
This espresso machine is also satisfactory for a small office environment (approximately 5-10 people) where E.S.E. single dose pods need to be used.
There is approximately 30-60 second wait time to go from coffee mode to steam mode (after depressing the steam switch in). After steaming milk, the user can depress the steam switch out. After placing a cup under the steam wand, the user can rotate the steam knob to the on position, and the hot water switch must be depressed for the the pump to activate so that the 'too hot steamed water' exits and the temperature of the boiler can be brought down to make additional espresso.
Also, the three way solenoid valve operates to relieve the pressure on the filter basket immediately when you depress the coffee switch to off. This prevents the 'explosion' of coffee grounds that is normally found on home espresso machines without three way solenoid valves. The solenoid valve on this machine also assists in creating a dry puck after the extraction (please note there are certain coffees, grinds, and amounts of coffee that will make a wet extracted puck which no three way valve will help).
Definition: PID (Proportional, Integral, Derivative) temperature control of the coffee boiler . If you are not sure what PID is, here is an overview.
This steam knob feature in coffee mode makes it very practical for preparing Cafe Americanos.
- PID temperature programming allows user to change boiler temperature through the use of the digital display/control panel on the front panel of the machine. The display reads out the current temperature of the coffee boiler.
- Brushed stainless steel finished body over a black enamel painted steel frame.
- Water reservoir removable from the right SIDE of the machine.
- Brass boiler capacity: ~325cc.
- Brass boiler is located directly over the brass grouphead for superior temperature stability compared to boilers that are offset from the grouphead.
- Brass filter handle with plastic grip.
- Slide out drip tray made of plastic for easy cleaning (please note drip tray cover is part of machine). Front portion of pull out drip tray is in brushed stainless steel.
- Three selection switches: power on/off, espresso extracting, and coffee/steam mode.
- Vent in top rear of machine allow heat near water reservoir to escape.
- Blue lights indicate power and heating (lights from left to
- Three-way solenoid valve allows the immediate removal of the filter handle when the espresso extraction is completed. The three way valve also allows the user to backflush the grouphead.
- Swivel based steam wand allows easy rotation of steam wand over steaming pitcher (recommended 20 oz or less) on counter or placement over drip tray.
- Frothing aid attachment makes it easy to froth milk for cappuccinos. It is not recommended to remove this attachment to steam milk as the wand will be too short.
- Passive cup warmer on top with guardrail.
- Measurements: 9.8" W x 14.2" H x 12.4" D.
- Water tank: 2 liters.
- Bodywork: Brushed Stainless Steel.
- Recommended tamper size: 58mm.
- Weight: 26.5 lbs. (ship weight 34lbs).
- Voltage: 120V.
- Power: 1000W.
- Pump Pressure: up to 16 bar (only 9 bar is needed to make espresso).
- PID boiler temperature control.
- Steam pipe protector so one does not burn his/her fingers when touching the steam wand.
- Brass portafilter holder: 60mm.
- Coffee solenoid: no drip.
- Accessories Included: filter handle with dual spouts, single cup filter basket, double cup filter basket, plastic tamper (57mm), pod filter basket instruction manual and quick start guide.
- Warranty: One year parts and labor limited to manufacturer's defect.
- Printable manual can be found here.
- PID instructions can be found here.
- Ascaso parts listed here.
- The instructional manuals for Ascaso are printed for worldwide distribution and covers almost every model produced worldwide. With this in mind, there may be features, accessories, or colors available in Ascaso equipment in other countries, but not available in our models produced for the United States.
- To program the boiler temperature, the user needs to press the left little button on the temperature display and then immediately press the right button to show the program temperature. The left button can be pressed for each degree to decrease, and the right button can be pressed once for each degree to be increased.
- The right button on the temperature display can be pressed and held to shut off the PID controller.
- The PID controller will stay on even when the main power switch is shut off.
- When turned off, the PID controller will remain to display OFF until the machine is unplugged.
- If the unit arrives with a temperature display in Celsius,
it can be changed. Before plugging the electrical cord to the
electrical outlet, both buttons on the temperature display need
to be depressed and held while and other person plugs the electrical
cord into the electrical outlet. Once F.03 is displayed, the two
buttons can be released. Depress and release the right button
once. It will display Celsius. Immediately depress the right
button and F will display. Leave alone for 20 seconds, unplug
the electrical cord from the electrical outlet, and then plug
it back in after waiting 10 seconds. The display will now be in