Disclaimer: This technical support is provided for information purposes only. 1st-line Equipment, LLC is not responsible for any injury or damages resulting from such information.
Caution: Detergent is harmful if swallowed. If ingested, drink large amounts of water. In case of eye contact, flush thoroughly with water. Contact a physician in either case. Avoid excessive skin contact. KEEP OUT OF REACH FROM CHILDREN AND PETS.
Purpose: Re-charge water softeners that are connected between the espresso machine and the city water line or source. The purpose of using a water softener is to prevent limescale build-up inside your espresso machine. Limescale is the number one destroyer of espresso machines. We recommend you recharge your water softener once a month and replace it once a year for maximum effectiveness.
Machine identity: These instructions are provided for re-charging a water softener for a direct water-connected type espresso machine. It is not for espresso machines with a water reservoir or tank. THESE INSTRUCTIONS ARE FOR THE MANUAL WATER SOFTENERS SOLD ON OUR WEBSITE. IF YOU PURCHASE FROM ANOTHER DEALER, YOU MAY WANT TO FOLLOW THEIR INSTRUCTIONS.
Requirements before you start: cold fresh water, table salt, tall glass, sink with running cold tap water, DUAL VALVE commercial water softener.
WARNING: A WATER SOFTENER NEEDS TO BE CHARGED BEFORE FIRST USE. ALWAYS MAKE SURE THE WATER SOFTENER IS NOT DAMAGED. IF THE BEAD RESINS ARE FALLING OUT THROUGH AN OPEN VALVE, THIS CAN DAMAGE YOUR MACHINE. THESE INSTRUCTIONS ARE NOT FOR SINGLE-VALVE COMMERCIAL WATER SOFTENERS.
Do not use cleaning or decalcification solutions through your water softener. These chemical agents can destroy the effectiveness of your water softener.
However, these decalcification agents can be used to supplement the effectiveness of your water softener when utilized without the water softener in place at the time of cleaning or decalcification.
- Deep sink with cold water line and drain.
- Water softening salt (2 pounds purchased at Lowe’s, Home Depot, Sears, etc). DO NOT USE PELLETS AS THESE TAKE A VERY LONG TIME TO DISSOLVE! If not available, please use table salt as an alternative.
- Teflon tape.
- Open ended wrench.
- Vinyl hose (enough to run from softener to drain).
- Water line with separate shut-off valve.
- Stainless steel braided hose (included for connection to machine).
Charge before installation:
- Remove top cover of water softener – never remove resins!
- Add 2 lbs of water softening salts to softener top opening. Place unit in deep sink.
- Open valves by turning black (or red) handles so they are perpendicular to the input/output of the valves. In other words, they are facing up.
- Attach vinyl hose to small opening on upper valve and run to drain. If there is a small nut on the small opening, please remove it and place it on the bottom valve small opening. There is only one small nut included.
- Run cold water slowly from the faucet into through the top of the water softener.
- Turn upper valve in direction if small output before water climbs to top of water softener.
- Water should slowly come out through the small side opening. If not, adjust valve lever until salty water exits.
- Adjust the water flow so that water, salt, or resins do not come out through the top of the water softener. Let water run for about 20 minutes to charge water softener.
- Check to see if any resins are coming out. If yes, the internal screen is damaged and you should stop here and contact us or replace unit.
- Taste water from drain hose. It has completely charged when you can no longer taste salt in the water. Shut faucet water off when no salty taste is present.
- Let water drain from valves, place valve handles upwards and remove unit from sink.
- Securely place on the top cover and wrap vinyl hose (keep with unit).
- Attached 3/8″ water line stainless steel hose to valve (side with larger opening) that does NOT have the brass nut on the smaller side. Your hoses will cross thread the water softener valve (3/8″ British Metric Units). So, it is permanently installed. Use Teflon tape on both water connections. Make sure your water line has its own separate shut-off valve in the closed position.
- Attached stainless steel hose from machine to valve (side with larger opening) that DOES have the brass nut on the smaller side. The brass nut is a restrictor for the water flow for the vinyl hose when recharging water softener AFTER the initial time.
- Turn both handles to the left so they are above large openings/connections on valve.
- Open separate water valve and let water flow through system to machine.
- Follow instructions on proper initial start-up of machine.
Recharge after installation:
- Power off espresso machine, shut off water supply utilizing separate shut off valve, and attach vinyl hose to top valve (smaller hole) and extend to drain.
- Turn upper valve handle toward vinyl hose to depressurize unit.
- Remove top cover of water softener – never remove resins!
- Add 2 lbs of water softening salts to softener top opening.
- Securely place on the top cover.
- Open separate shut off valve slowly so as to allow water through water softener and then unto drain. Monitor drain hose to avoid movement and leakage/damage to flooring.
- Water should slowly come out through the small side opening. If not, adjust separate shut off valve until salty water exits. Let water run for about 20 minutes to charge water softener.
- Check to see if any resins are coming out. If yes, the internal screen is damaged and you should stop here and contact us.
- Taste water from drain hose. It has completely charged when you can no longer taste salt in the water. This is also to avoid any salty water from getting to the machine.
- When no salty taste is present, redirect the water back to the machine by placing the top lever handle towards the larger opening of the top valve (or the stainless hose to the machine).
- Power on machine.
If you have any questions, please email us at [email protected].
After unpacking, make sure the water softener has not been damaged. Please keep all items away from children. Only potable water may be used through this softener. This softener is only to be utilized in areas where the room temperature is greater than 37 degrees Fahrenheit. the internal resins should never be removed.
The water inlet pipe is connected on the threaded tube on the right side of the water softener. The drain discharge hose is the connection behind the inlet pipe thread. The outlet pipe to the espresso machine is on the left side.
During operation, the valve shall remain in position 1. For the correct operation of the internal resin and for top performance, rinse the internals by moving the valve to position 4 until the water to the drain becomes clear. In the event no water has passed through the softener for 48 hours, this rinse should occur.
The interval schedule for regeneration is base don your water hardness. We normally recommend regeneration 1-2 times per month.
Turn the valve counterclockwise to position 2. Take the top cap off by lifting the lever (or by unscrewing slowly the top knob). Pour in 1.3 kilograms water softening salt. Remove all salt and salt residues from the gasket for the top cover. Place the top cap properly back into position and tighten. Insure that a vinyl drain hose is connect to the drain pipe on the right side of the water softener (has barb fitting).
Turn the valve counterclockwise to position 3. Let water drain for at least 30 minutes or until salt water can no longer be tasted from the drain (whichever is later). The machine can still be operated while the valve is in this position. However, the water going to the espresso machine is not being softened.
Turn the valve counterclockwise to position 4 for 30 seconds – please note that there is no water going to the espresso machine in this position. Please make sure the espresso machine is not being used. Turn the valve counterclockwise to position 1 to allow the water to be softened.