Disclaimer: This technical support is provided for information purposes only. 1st-line Equipment, LLC is not responsible for any injury or damages resulting from such information.
Caution: Please note that the following information is provided only as a guideline supplemental to your instruction manual. Before attempting to drain your machine’s boilers, please consult the user’s manual before proceeding with these guidelines. Draining the boiler properly is the responsibility of the customer and you may be charged if any damage results from improperly completing the necessary procedure as damage due to freezing or is not covered under manufacturer’s warranty nor shipping insurance. If shipping, significant charges for damages could result from the lack of following these instructions and/or the instruction manual.. Not properly draining the boiler can result in severe damage from water freezing inside the internal components.
It is imperative that you read these guidelines completely before attempting this process. Feel free to contact our technical services department at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions you may have before draining your boiler. 1st-line Equipment, LLC does not assume any liability for damages or personal injuries.
Purpose: Remove majority of water from internal components of a traditional double boiler espresso machine. To prevent freezing and/or water damage during long term storage or shipping.
Machine identity: These instructions are provided for a double boiler traditional espresso machine with a removable water reservoir and with at least one hose in the reservoir to draw water. It is NOT for single boiler or heat exchange espresso machines. It is also not intended for heat exchange machines without a water intake hose on top of the reservoir nor any direct water connect espresso machines.
Requirements before you start: espresso machine, power, sink, two large containers or cups that can withstand high heat.
Warning: Water removed from machine will be scalding hot! Be careful of steam and splashing hot water during the water removal process.
Draining the double boiler:
- Fill the espresso machine’s reservoir with water.
- Plug the espresso machine into an applicable power outlet and power on.
- Allow the machine to heat to its normal brewing temperature or pressure.
- Place one large container under the brew group/grouphead.
- Place the second container under the hot water dispenser/spout/spigot.
- Ensure that each container will not tip over or spill when water begins to drain into them.
- Remove the lid or cover to your water reservoir.
- Remove the water intake line from the water reservoir. If you have 2 or more hoses, the water intake hose is usually the longest hose or the hose with a water filter/softener attached to it.
The following needs to be performed simultaneously to avoid heating element damage!
- Engage grouphead coffee switch to engage pump to pump water out of the grouphead and also engage the hot water switch until water stops or after 20 seconds (whichever is sooner).
Please note that there is no way to remove all the water from both boilers unless the top cover is removed and a pipe from each boiler is disconnected to drain each boiler manually after the above process.
- For shipping, package in original packaging exactly as packaged when you received the shipment. Plastic bags need to be placed over machine to avoid scratching from shipping. All loose articles, including but not limited to portafilter handles, baskets, scoops, etc must be secured to avoid cosmetic damage caused by the movement of these items.
- The espresso machine box MUST always be placed into a larger double wall corrugated box with at least 2″ of foam or similar protection placed between the outer corrugated box and the espresso machine box.
- If receiving a drained machine, re-prime as per the instruction manual.
Long term storage notes:
- If possible, do not store where temperatures will be below 36 degrees F or 0 degrees C.
- When taking a machine out of long terms storage, re-prime the espresso machine as per the instruction manual.