Purpose: Remove limescale deposits, caused by magnesium and calcium, from the internal workings of a manual lever espresso machine.
Frequency: Minimum once a month.
Machine identity: These instructions are provided for descaling a manual lever single boiler espresso machine. Typically, it is an espresso machine with a long lever on top of the grouphead, not a lever on the side of the grouphead. The lever is either pulled up or down to extract espresso. Your espresso machine must have a single internal boiler that provides both water for espresso extraction and steam for steaming/frothing milk and that also acts as a reservoir. If your machine has a separate reservoir, these are not the correct instructions. Please check with the manufacturer or your selling dealer if you are not sure.
These instruction are mainly for La Pavoni lever home models and Elektra a leva home models.
Requirements before you start: cold espresso machine in power off position and plugged into outlet, descaling product, mixing container/pitcher, fresh water.
- If your instruction manual has instructions for descaling, please use those instructions as the primary instructions, and please use the following as secondary instructions.
- Remove water from boiler.
- Follow instructions on descaler product to acquire proper solution ratio as most descalers require a mixture with water into a mixing container/pitcher. We sell Ascaso Coffee Washer for descaling. You must produce enough solution to fill your boiler.
- Pour descaling solution into boiler. Most lever espresso machines have clear coat and/or plated finishes. Please be very careful to not get any descaling solution on these finishes as the solution will ruin them.
- Place large cup under grouphead and activate lever action five full times to get grouphead saturated with descaling solution.
- Let solution sit in boiler for a minimum 20 minutes and a maximum of 30 minutes. This is to allow enough time for the descaler to be effective and not allow enough time for the seals to be eaten away. Follow the solution instructions if the machine has to be heated or not.
- Remove cup from under grouphead.
- Remove and properly dispose of solution from machine
- Rinse the boiler with fresh cold water three (3) times. On the third refill, place a large cup under the grouphead and activate lever action five full times to get grouphead fully rinsed.