Disclaimer: This technical support is provided for information purposes only. 1st-line Equipment, LLC is not responsible for any injury or damages resulting from such information. Please note that if we unsure whether any solution can damage certain types of counter or sink materials. you should also NOT use glass to capture any hot liquids from the machine during this process.
Caution: Cleaning detergents listed below are harmful if swallowed. If ingested, drink large amounts of water. In case of eye contact, flush thoroughly with water. Contact a physician in either case. Avoid excessive skin contact. KEEP OUT OF REACH FROM CHILDREN AND PETS.
Purpose: To remove limescale deposits, caused by magnesium and calcium, from the internal workings of the espresso machine.
Machine identity: These instructions are provided for descaling a traditional espresso machine with water reservoir and has a coffee boiler and separate steam thermoblock for steam. Your espresso machine must have a single internal boiler that provides hot water for espresso extraction and hot water delivery through a hot water valve AND a separate thermoblock for steam. the machines in this class are Ascaso Steel DUO series machines, as well as the Quickmill Silvano. This procedure is not for espresso machines called heat exchangers, nor double boilers.
Requirements before you start: cold espresso machine in power off position and plugged into outlet, descaling product, mixing container/pitcher, fresh water, and 8 oz or larger cup.
- If your instruction manual has instructions for descaling, please use those instructions as the primary instructions, and use the following as secondary instructions.
- Remove water from reservoir and remove any water treatment devices (ie water softener, osmotic pack, etc) from the reservoir or intake hose.
- Follow instructions on descaler product to acquire proper solution ratio as most descalers require a mixture with water into a mixing container/pitcher. We sell Ascaso Coffee Washer for descaling.
- Pour descaling solution into water reservoir.
- Under the steam wand, hot water wand, and grouphead, please place an 8 oz or larger cup.
- Press the power switch to ‘on’. If there is a separate power switch for the steam thermoblock, please power to ‘off’.
- Press the coffee switch to ‘on’. After 6-8 ounces of solution has dispensed through the grouphead, please press the coffee switch to ‘off’.
- If applicable. press the hot water switch to ‘on’. After 6-8 ounces of solution has dispensed through the hot water wand, please press the hot water switch to ‘off’.
- (Ascaso Steel DUO) If the machine has a switch for the steam valve, press the steam valve switch to ‘on’. After 6-8 ounces of solution has dispensed through the hot water wand, please press the steam valve switch to ‘off’. If there is a separate power switch for the steam thermoblock, please power to ‘on’.
- (Possible other machines in this category) If the machine has a knob for the steam valve, rotate the steam knob to open the steam valve and engage the pump. After 6-8 ounces of solution has dispensed through the hot water wand, please rotate the steam knob to close the steam valve. If there is a separate power switch for the steam thermoblock, please power to ‘on’.
- Let machine sit idle for no longer than 20 minutes. Longer periods of time can damage the machine. During this time, you can perform 11, 12, 13, and 14.
- Remove and rinse 8 ounce cups and place back in place.
- Remove reservoir, rinse with water, wipe down reservoir hoses with a clean wet rag.
- Fill reservoir with water and place into machine.
- Repeat steps 6-10 for rinsing except to rinse, you need to double the quantity of fluid ounces indicated for proper rinsing.
- The machine has successfully been descaled and rinsed.