VBM Domobar Super HX Espresso Machine
The VBM Domobar Super HX espresso machine has consistently outperformed many competitive models (sold by us and not sold by us) in terms of reliability and performance. With the least defects on a percentage of machines sold, we knew at that time there were several reasons for this!
In fact, other manufacturers started to utilize a similar restrictor in the thermosyphon tubes (2 tubes running from grouphead to boiler) to better regulate overheating of their E61 groupheads. VBM did this from the start to enhance their espresso extraction performance!
Most other manufacturers are using smaller tubes (which tend to create greater overheating of the grouphead). However, VBM still uses 10mm inside diameter/12mm outside diameter thermosyphon tubes. Also, more metal means more cost here. Less metal means less cost for a manufacturer. No skimping by VBM!
Another reason for reliability is the position of the electronics. Down in the bottom rear of the machine – away from the heat of the boiler! Couple the large boiler with high output steam wands, and this machine froths milk in a jiffy. In fact, VBM will not place the so-called no-burn steam wands for 2 reasons. First, they slow down performance to froth milk. Second, they have silicone inside the pipe which sometimes tends to create foul odors.
VBM has the most robust E61 grouphead in the industry. Hands down. Customers who see E61 espresso machines in person tend to gravitate towards the VBM’s due to its robustness and structure.
All in all, the high quality construction makes the next step up a commercial machine. ALL STAINLESS BODY AND CHASSIS – NO BLACK ENAMEL PAINTED FRAME THAT CAN CHIP OR RUST! If you can fit this machine in your home and office, you will not regret purchasing this unit! We don’t as we use the Super HX machines for catering events up to 250 people! Now, that’s performance!
Features particular to the VBM Domobar Super HX
- Gorgeous polished stainless steel body panels.
- Small lever on side of grouphead allows user to engage/disengage pump and three-way manual solenoid valve to start/stop espresso extraction.
- Manual three-way valve below grouphead allows removal of portafilter handle from grouphead immediately after espresso extraction stops.
- Insulation on inner wall between water reservoir and internal boiler.
- The electronic brain unit is located on the bottom rear – away from heat that rises from a hot boiler and that can damage electronics.
- Easy self-repairable (some skill needed) as this machine is one of the easiest to diagnose and self-repair (saves on shipping!)
- 41-watt vibratory pump (“vibe” pump) goes up to 15 bar with air valve bypass – please note that only 9 bar is necessary for espresso. Do not be fooled for machines with higher pump pressure as one is only creating too much UN-needed pressure on the internal system.
Common features across all Super Espresso Machines
- Heavy duty VBM ‘true’ E61 grouphead maintains active flow of water from the grouphead to the heat exchanger in the boiler.
- The heat exchanger allows you to make espresso after espresso until water reservoir is emptied – plus with the larger boiler, you can steam milk at the same time.
- Professional grade brass portafilters. One portafilter with single spout and single filter basket and one portafilter with dual spout and double filter basket.
- Boiler pressure gauge to indicate boiler pressure (reading will vary between .8 and 1.2 bar pressure). The setting can be varied by adjusting the full size pressure-stat through the access port under the cup warmer tray on top of machine.
- Pump pressure gauge to indicate brew pressure during espresso extraction (reading will vary while not extracting – this is normal).
- Multi-directional stainless steel steam wand on left side can go in different directions.
- Multi-directional stainless steel hot water tap on right side can go in different directions.
- Power indicator light on right side indicates when the machine is powered on.
More common features across all Super Espresso Machines
- Heating light on left side indicates when espresso machine is heating.
- Low water level light in middle indicates when water level in water reservoir in rear is low.
- Three-stage power switch allows user to fill internal boiler without sending power to the heating element. This prevents damage upon initial start up.
- Full-size pressure-stat (rated as one of the best boiler pressure regulators) monitors boiler pressure.
- Extremely large stainless steel drip tray which can be easily (slides out with pull of handle) removed for cleaning. Grate stays on machine when pulling out drip tray so that it is one step to empty.
- GICAR branded electronic water level control for internal boiler is located in lower right rear corner of machine where there is least heat build up.
- Largest OPV (over pressure valve opens when too much pump pressure exists) located in rear of machine with easy access when body panel and six (6) associated screws are removed.
- Single spout portafilter, single dose filter basket, double spout portafilter, double dose filter basket, blind filter basket for backflushing, plastic coffee scoop, and a common useless plastic tamper (please make sure to order a good tamper).
Do you like what this espresso machine has to offer, but want a rotary pump instead of a vibration? Then check out the VBM Domobar Super Switchable! In addition, if you want an HX espresso machine that is more compact, then review the VBM Domobar Junior! Finally, do you want to see our other home espresso machines? Then take a look at our webpage!